Free Press for Eastern Europe is a non-profit organisation and is based in Prague. Free Press for Eastern Europe supports independent media outlets with their work across the continent. Free Press for Eastern Europe collaborates with its founding partner Free press Unlimited (Amsterdam).
Currently Free Press for Eastern Europe is implementing a pilot project that aims to build a community of organizations and experts from Europe and beyond committed to increasing the quality of medical reporting and building bridges between journalists, editors, and scientists who work on health-related issues.
Free Press for Eastern Europe (FPEE) is currently looking for an Audience Analysis Specialist with a solid track record in medical and/or health journalism. The Audience Analysis Specialist will be part of an international project empowering quality health and medical journalism in Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia.
We run an innovative audience analysis outreach that helps regional publishers practice audience-centered journalism. The Audience Analysis Specialist will help the project team and its partners to better understand their audiences and what drives engagement in topics related to medicine and healthcare. The Audience Analysis Specialist will also be supporting regional newsrooms to create smarter, more data-driven content strategies that align with their editorial mission.
Working as a part of an international team, you will be monitoring and ensuring the success of our partner newsrooms and helping the newsrooms use data to discover insights about audience engagement. This role is consultative and collaborative. It involves facilitating cohorts of newsrooms that work on similar audience-related challenges and sharing best practices and lessons by writing about success stories and sharing them publicly.
This position requires at least five years of experience in the field of analysis of Central and Eastern European audiences and journalism. Working with remote teams, you will need great communication skills: a good ear to understand their needs and the ability to explain yours. We are an English-speaking team, so a proficient level of English language is a must. Fluency in one of the target region’s languages: Bulgarian/Czech/Hungarian/Romanian/Polish/Slovak will strengthen your chances of joining us.
- Work closely with the project’s team to plan and execute audience-driven strategies;
- Gather and monitor audience analysis insights from partners related to medicine and healthcare topics and provide weekly takeaway reports;
- Be the primary point of contact with partner newsrooms for consulting and data analysis;
- Help partners to survey their audience on medicine and healthcare topics and analyze the results to spot overarching trends;
- Write public reports to summarize the lessons and transformations experienced by partnering news organizations under the umbrella of our project;
- Willingness and ability to travel to visit partner newsrooms for consulting sessions.
Skills and abilities
- Professional experience shaping content strategies as an audience development lead or other related roles in news organizations. This person should understand editorial ethics, news judgment, and beat reporting beyond just audience data;
- Familiarity with audience analytics programs for publishers;
- Familiarity with audience engagement work, such as how to reach new audiences and how to analyze audience data to develop insights for news coverage;
- Good writing and communication skills, with the ability to present complex information in a clear way;
- At least five years of experience in relevant fields of journalism and audience analytics;
- Experience working in a news organization is required;
- Experience constructing and analyzing surveys would be a plus.
We offer an output-based part time freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment with an NGO-based compensation package. FPEE uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Are you interested?
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV to email@example.com.
The expected start date is the 2nd half of January 2022. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications.
We reserve the right to contact selected applicants before the deadline date. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. A screening and references are part of the application process.