Free Press Unlimited is an Amsterdam based international non-profit organization that strongly believes that all people are entitled to have access to unbiased, reliable and timely information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information and to monitor the authorities. Free Press Unlimited wants to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom. We do this by supporting independent local media professionals and journalists.
Free Press Unlimited is currently looking for Climate Consultant(s) to co-create and conduct Free Press Unlimited’s Climate Journalism Fellowships workshop and provide mentoring to a group of 8-10 international Climate Fellows from European countries.
We are looking for a Consultant with relevant expertise in climate-change related topics, journalism, and in developing and providing workshops or trainings. The Consultant is also able to coach and mentor international journalists about the production and dissemination of (collaborative) articles related to climate change topics.
Free Press Unlimited’s Climate Journalism Fellowships are part of the European Excellence Exchange in Journalism (E³J) project. This project is co-funded by the European Commission under the Pilot Project: Supporting investigative journalism and media freedom in the EU (DG CONNECT).
Climate Journalism Fellowships will enable journalists to tell better climate stories and better inform their audiences by creating stories that go beyond highlighting the problem and come with constructive solutions, stories which can be meaningful to local communities and decision makers.
The Climate Journalism Fellowship consists of:
• A Climate Change Workshop
A 2-3 days workshop in The Netherlands, with in-depth sessions for 8-10 journalists with various modules on accessing and interpreting relevant data, on engaging with climate data to tell locally-relevant stories, and using them to hold elected officials accountable for climate action; but also on relationship with scientists, connection of climate change with security, migration and health issues and – last but not least - on innovative climate storytelling formats.
• Production and publication of a series of articles on climate change
After the workshop, each individual fellow/ journalist will write and publish at least two articles on climate change issues relevant for their city / country / region. The Consultant will support the journalists (using coaching, mentoring and peer-to- peer learning methods) not only in writing but also with the publication, tracking and impact measurement of the published stories.
Main responsibilities of the Consultant(s):
- Co-creating the Call (for the Fellowships) and selection of 8-10 European journalist, together with the FPU project team;
- Co-creating the content, program and materials for the Climate Change Fellowship workshop;
- Conducting the workshop;
- Mentoring, coaching and advising the fellows on a weekly- or bi-weekly basis on writing and publishing of the articles, and also on tracking and impact measurement of the published stories;
- Writing the report on the results of the workshop, in the used methodology and on the quality of productions and impact of the stories.
Skills and abilities
Our ideal candidate operates on a senior level, has an international work experience and tangible track record in diverse range of climate topics, climate related research, resources, climate journalism, transferring knowledge (ideally in designing and providing workshops and/or trainings; coaching/ mentoring and peer-to-peer learning), and has basic knowledge on project management and reporting.
S/he is proficient in written and spoken English, and preferably one or more European languages; has excellent written and verbal communication skills (security sensitiveness aware, diversity of culture), able to receive and give constructive feedback and is flexible, creative, proactive and solution-oriented. The Consultant will be working with journalists from several EU countries and needs to have an open mind and interest in the regions represented by the fellows.
The Consultant, if possible, will be part of the selection committee that selects the best candidates for the fellowships.
Free Press Unlimited is open to suggestions to make this a duo-consultancy.
- The opportunity to work with like-minded, enthusiastic people who love what they do, a dynamic, international NGO and informal work environment that offers ample opportunity for initiative
- Freedom to develop the workshop program (modules, topics, possible guest lecturers and materials)
- Challenge to be a part of a pioneering project
- Access to a large international network
- The engagement is for a period of 9 months, from mid December 2022 till end September 2023 with an average of 2-4 days per month, depending on the activities.
- An output based part-time freelance contract
Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Are you interested?
If you are curious and interested to join us as consultant, please send your resume and short motivation letter before 30 November 2022 to Tanja Vranic at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We reserve the right to contact selected applicants before the deadline date. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For questions about the position, you can contact Tanja either via the email above or on +31 61 01 48 719.
This project is funded by the European Union. Views and opinions expressed are however those of the author(s) only and do not necessarily reflect those of the European Union or [name of the granting authority]. Neither the European Union nor the granting authority can be held responsible for them.