Free Press Unlimited is an Amsterdam based international non-profit organisation that strongly believes that all people are entitled to have access to unbiased, reliable and timely information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information and to monitor the authorities. Free Press Unlimited wants to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom. We do this by supporting independent local media professionals and journalists.
The consultant is hired as part of the European Excellence Exchange in Journalism (E³J) project, which aims to unleash the combined potential of European values and cross-border collaboration for better journalism and, as a result, a better informed society. E3J will provide a single-entry point for all types of media organisations, networks and individuals to connect, based on mutual trust and common rules. The project will facilitate a network of already established networks, hubs or newly launched groupings of journalists and media outlets and also propel topical excellence around the main challenges of our times - migration, climate and public health. E³J is carried in partnership between Reporters Without Borders, Free Press Unlimited, the Permanent Conference of the Mediterranean Audiovisual Operators (Copeam), the Community Media Forum Europe (CMFE) and its member Community Medien Institut für Weiterbildung, Forschung und Beratung (COMMIT).
E³J is co-funded by the European Commission under the Creative Europe Programme (CREA, NEWS-Journalism partnerships).
The Editor / Network Manager will strengthen and multiply journalistic partnerships in Europe by providing already existing and emerging networks and hubs with a new platform and information hub that will make them more salient and interconnected with other like-minded initiatives.
The Editor / Network Manager will be tasked to develop, coordinate and deliver a digital searchable directory of European journalism networks, which will grow over the course of the project into a comprehensive database of European media hubs, networks and initiatives, both established and informal.
The directory aims to be an overarching platform that brings more efficiency and sustainability to collaborative journalism, by gathering the existing dispersed information in one common space.
The directory will be built in a user-friendly way, with content translated to several European languages, and offer the possibility to search through European networks based on their specialisation, geography, and other criteria.
The directory will also feature profile stories and case studies about European journalism networks, in order to make the resource a valuable place for anyone looking to learn about a collaboration or network in Europe. The directory will encompass journalism networks across the European Union countries, as well as candidate countries.
The Editor / Network Manager will also be responsible for supervising cross-border journalism productions realised within the E³J project.
- You work at the intersection of project management and journalism and can easily switch between the two;
- You are familiar with the European journalism ecosystem and existing journalistic networks;
- You like to experiment with new approaches and technologies, and feel at ease within a digital environment and social media platforms;
- You are highly collaborative, value teamwork, and will ensure exchange of ideas and information;
- You have international experience and can establish trusted contacts with journalists and organisations in a variety of contexts,
- You are able to independently conceptualise and deliver a project within the given time frame and budget and have an outstanding track record that speaks for itself,
- You have strong editorial skills and are able to produce and coordinate engaging quality content for the website and for other purposes within E³J;
- You are a good communicator and network builder;
- You are attentive to details while holding the broader helicopter view in sight;
- You embrace diversity and have an open mind and interest in working with diverse organisations and individuals;
- You are able to receive and give constructive feedback and are solution-oriented;
- You are proficient in written and spoken English;
- You are available for regular online check-ins and the occasional travel for team and consortium meetings.
- The opportunity to work with like-minded, enthusiastic people who love what they do, a dynamic, international NGO and informal work environment that offers ample opportunity for initiative;
- Freedom to develop the digital directory and its content (profile articles and case studies);
- Access to a large international network;
- A consultancy position of 15 days/month for a duration of 12 months (March 2023 until end of February 2024);
- An output based freelance contract.
Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Are you interested?
If you are curious and interested to join us as a consultant, please send your resume, short motivation letter and monthly fee (based on 15 working days per month) before 8 February 2023 EOD CET to: email@example.com.
We reserve the right to contact selected applicants before the deadline date. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. For questions about the position, you can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. A screening can be part of the selection process.