Monday, December 12, 2011
The minister of Justice, Mohamed Bechara Dausa, decided yesterday to stop the legal proceedings of seven Darfuri accused of working with Radio Dabanga, and ordered to make all the necessary actions to end the case against the defendants Abdelrahman Adam Abdelrahman, Gaafer al Sabky, and Kwather Abdel al-Haq.

The minister added that this decision had been made in accordance with the directory given by president Al Bashir to promote freedom and amnesty for journalists. Also he said that it's in line with state policy efforts for peace and unity.

Mohammed Abdullah Al Duma, lawyer and spokesperson for the defense, described the decision as good: “this decision means that the case will be closed, and the accusations dropped,” he told Radio Dabanga from Khartoum.

In October 2010 the Sudanese National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) arrested fourteen Darfurians for alleged involvement with Radio Dabanga. Several detainees were released without charge after several months of detention, while the others remained in detention at undisclosed locations. In June 2011, charges were brought against the remaining seven. Court sessions were repeatedly delayed at the prosecution’s request as witnesses could not be produced.