Are you a journalist or media professional who is being prosecuted or imprisoned because of your work? Do you face legal costs that you can't cover? Then Free Press Unlimited might be able to offer you support thought our Legal Defense Fund.
With this Legal Defense Fund, we provide financial support to journalists and media organisations worldwide. We give support to journalists who face prosecution or imprisonment and who are unable to afford a lawyer or trial costs. This way, they will not be forced to withdraw their defense and accept the consequences of, often false, accusations.
Applying for legal support
Journalists, media workers, and media organisations who are at legal risk because of their profession can request non-structural support from the Legal Defense Fund. What we can offer:
- Basic legal support (to a maximum of €5.000,-). This can for example include lawyer fees and other legal costs, and limited support to partner and family;
- Public or impact litigation grants. Requests will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
Requirements that you need to meet:
- You are currently a practicing media worker or media organisation
- Your situation is a direct result of you being a media worker or media organisation;
- Your situation can be confirmed by at least two trusted sources outside of yourself.
The fund will do the utmost to provide the support as soon as possible. For additional questions you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Free Press Unlimited office on: +31 20 8000 400