Free Press Unlimited is currently looking for a a Senior all round media expert (digital online production including: print, radio, digital TV and podcast).
Free Press Unlimited based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands strongly believes that all people are entitled to have access to unbiased, reliable and timely information. This enables them to assess their own living conditions, influence these and make the right decisions. Press Freedom and Freedom of Information are vital for gathering and spreading reliable, unbiased information. Media plays a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information that can help them develop and monitor the authorities. We want to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom.
By supporting media professionals and journalists, we want to help people gain and keep access to the information they need to survive and develop.
Objective of the assignment
The suitable candidate is expected to serve on the programme’s “coaching help desk”, by monitoring the output of the beneficiaries, offering advice, and intervening as necessary. The help desk will additionally support the beneficiaries with assessment and improvement of their internal editorial guidelines and their editorial work flow, as well as strategy and development plans.
The seasoned all-round media coach on this project has long-term experience in journalism-production work flow, but has also demonstrated editorial leadership skills. The expert must engage with each media partner as member of the team and offer organizational and individual advice in a friendly and constructive manner. Participating in the authoring and editing of content monitoring reports also belongs to the expert's tasks. The expert will also coordinate with the programme management team and report any emergent or foreseeable difficulties and discuss courses of action.
We are looking for a pro-active, professional and enthusiastic person who is familiar with the media sector in the Middle East. The work is partly done remotely, and partly through visits to the media outlets in the Middle East (to be determined by developments of COVID-19).
- Build and maintain relationships and trust with each media partner and journalists
- Shadow partner's editorial meetings/production process to stimulate and support story lines and ideas
- Produce monthly update reports on progress of mentoring activities and weekly team meeting reports
- Prepare coaching plans according to partners ‘needs and expectations
- Consult and share recommendations regularly with the Coordination team of Free Press Unlimited;
- Support the editorial teams in maintaining a critical view on one's work vis-a-vis the agreed ethical principles and style books;
- Monitor the partners' output and provide feedback and advice to help improve their quality;
- Perform periodical full reviews of the beneficiaries and note progress and difficulties;
- Assist beneficiaries in resolving any journalism-related issue at their request;
- Expand the impact of the journalism training through mentoring attendees while implementing what they have learned;
- Deliver journalistic training sessions when needed
- Anticipate possible obstacles and find timely solutions;
- Offer (hands-on) creative input in the editorial/production process (text/editing, photography, visuals, formats/lay-out, genre, audio packaging, sound editing etc.);
- Advise on learning development plans, suggest new innovative ideas for implementation.
- Degree in media or related subject;
- Minimum 7 year experience as a journalist; 5 years in digital journalism.
- Experience in managing production and taking editorial decisions
- Experience in in-depth/investigative journalism
- Excellent coaching skills, not conflicting or confrontational;
- Working experience in - and excellent understanding of Middle Eastern media;
- Experience in mentoring and advising individuals and organizations;
- Experience in designing journalism-related courses and online interventions;
- Experience in delivering training;
- Proven coaching records methodology and result-oriented strategy;
- Strong leadership skills.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
Written applications consisting of a CV and a short motivation (including rough idea of availability and rate) need to be submitted by e-mail (preferable in PDF format) no later than 18 September 2020 to vacanciesejsm[AT]freepressunlimited.org
A screening is part of the application process.