Free Press Unlimited is currently looking for a consultant to identify suitable co-implementing partners in Europe ‘Dialogue for Peace programme’.
Free Press Unlimited is currently supporting a comprehensive media development programme on Syria. It seeks to extend its activities and network to several Western European countries. We are therefore looking for a Consultant – who has the relevant experience to conduct an independent socio-political stakeholder mapping covering the United Kingdom, France, Germany and the Netherlands. These four countries are focus intervention countries, given their humanitarian and development programme on Syria. It is important to study, take into consideration their specific role/stand on the issue, and to involve relevant voices and decision makers to address the root cause of the Syrian conflict towards solutions.
Who we are:
Across the globe, journalists and media pioneers have taken it on themselves to supply their communities with objective information. Free Press Unlimited actively supports these professionals in over forty countries, by offering them, among other things, training and temporary financial and material aid, and by strengthening their professional capacity. So that as many people as possible gain and keep access to truly vital information. For many people around the world NGO-based, access to reliable information is by no means a given. Nevertheless, impartial information is of crucial importance to all of us if we wish to survive and develop as human beings.
The Consultant will be asked to map the ‘socio-political fabric’ in each focus country in order to identify the potential ‘catalysts’ in each country. The analysis will be used by Free Press Unlimited to approach possible new co-implementing partners for a new project. This project, which is funded by the European Union, aims to create a constructive environment for sustainable peace among others through strengthening media work, enhancing dialogue and by a cohesive narrative in and on Syria.
The candidate will be working towards a first country focus stakeholder analysis and mapping assessment (by the end of October 2020). The consultancy recommendations will include a tailored list per country of (for example) think-tanks, talks shows, debate centres, media institutions or press clubs that are critical in gathering public and facilitating debate among opinion leaders, media practitioners, researchers, policy-makers, students and public institutions representatives.
We are looking for a (one covering all countries or one per country) pro-active, professional and enthusiastic person who is familiar with the European politics, the media and CSO sector. Preferably with a ‘lobby and advocacy’ antenna and network in relevant EU cities, such as Berlin, Paris, London, Amsterdam as well as Brussels.
- Propose identification and selection process of suitable strategic partners (in UK, France, Germany) that includes sound methodology, suitable tools and clear expected output (methodology);
- Based on approved process, produce mapping analysis instrumental to the selection of best suitable partners (output);
- Draft informative and detailed recommendations on who has leverage and expected impact (action);
- (In close consultation with FPU team) hold orientative interviews with potential partners to assess matching vision and interest to partner;
- Anticipate needs, obstacles, problems, suggest solutions (feasibility and mitigation);
- Consult regularly with team to make sure all are on the same page (communication and smooth implementation),
What we ask from you:
- Relevant education and experience in one or more of these fields - strategic development, communication, lobby, advocacy, PR-marketing, opportunities-hunter, social entrepreneurship;
- Has tangible track records in successfully advised projects;
- Has strong knowledge and relevant network in at least one of the 4 target countries;
- Excellent communication skills (security sensitiveness aware, diversity of culture, effective);
- Proficient in English and one or more languages (German, French); Arabic is an advantage (not a prerequisite);
- Solution oriented;
- Proactive, and is self-directing;
- Deadline and deliverables aware;
- Strong time and contacts management skills;
- Work collaboratively and communicate adequately with the Free Press Unlimited team;
- Propose ideas and assessment plans directly to the Programme Coordinator;
- Report on assignment progress directly to the Programme Coordinator;
- Ability to travel to research locations if needed in United Kingdom, France, Germany and the Netherlands;
- Ability to work on an independent (short term) consultancy contract,
What we offer:
We offer an output-based freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment with an NGO-based compensation package. Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV (preferably in PDF format) before 30 October 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expected start date is yet to be agreed but after the approval of the work plan. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications. A screening, a test and references are part of the application process.
EU Application process
Important to note that the EU will be consulted before the finalisation of the Terms of References for those positions and will also be consulted ex ante before recruitment takes place.