Free Press Unlimited is currently looking for an intern for the Gender, Safety and Accountability team.
Would you like to bring your knowledge of technology into practice at an NGO that supports media? If so, you might be the person we're looking for!
Free Press Unlimited is offering a five to six month internship (32 hours a week) starting in January 2020. We're looking for a tech-savvy student or recent graduate with a relevant educational background and affinity with media development.
About the internship:
You will support several media projects implemented together with international partners. You will join the Gender, Safety & Accountability team in realising projects with global coverage in the field of digital safety and investigative journalism.
Are you drawn to whistleblowing platforms for media, online digital security courses for journalists? Do you feel confident about your knowledge of encryption, privacy, open source software and safe communication options? Then this internship is for you!
The internship is based at our office in Amsterdam.
- Assist the project team with different tasks including, but not limited to:
- Give assistance to project officers and programme coordinators in project implementation (a.o. Publeaks, Totem, Money Trail, Lost in Europe)
- Assist in organising logistics and daily project management of meetings/events in the field of digital security;
- Coordinate and communicate with relevant partners abroad;
- Assist in financial administration;
- Support different stages of report writing and drafting;
- All-round duties including occasional front desk assistance.
We are looking for:
- Students or recent graduates with a background in Information Science, International Relations, Communications, Journalism, or other relevant studies, who are familiar with information technology and secure communication;
- Hands-on and practical problem-solving attitude;
- Strong planning and organisation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of English in speaking and writing;
- Interest in media;
- Good writing skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and be flexible;
- Ability to work under pressure and under deadlines.
An internship in a dynamic, international and friendly working environment. Free Press Unlimited is located in Amsterdam City Centre. You can join your colleagues for (free) lunches and you will receive an allowance of Euro 300 per month (fulltime) and, if applicable, travel expenses (public transport up to a maximum).
Who we are
Across the globe, journalists and media professionals supply their communities with objective information. Free Press Unlimited actively supports these professionals in over forty countries, by offering them, among other things, training and temporary financial and material aid, and by strengthening their professional capacity. So that as many people as possible gain and keep access to vital information. For many people around the world, access to reliable information is by no means a given. Nevertheless, impartial information is of crucial importance to all of us if we wish to survive and develop as human beings.
Please send your resume and short letter of motivation including learning goals in English (PDF format) no later than December 11, to Tamara Lunacek (HR Officer) via the application form. Interviews will take place on December 16th.
A screening can be part of the selection process.