Free Press Unlimited is offering a short internship (two to three months, depending on the availability of the intern), to take place within the period September- November 2020. The intern will contribute to Free Press Unlimited’s knowledge base on the role that media play in holding powerholders to account.
About the internship:
Free Press Unlimited is creating an online resource guide for its strategic theme ‘Media and Accountability’: the role media plays in holding powerholders to account on behalf of their audiences. We are looking for an intern to contribute to the development of this guide. The intern will work within the Knowledge and Quality team and receive supervision from an expert.
The intern will work on one or more specific assignments to contribute to the resource guide. Expectations and responsibilities will be discussed with the applicant to create the best fit. It is possible to organise the internship on a part-time basis (2- 4 days a week) to attend any classes. Examples of two resource guides already published – ‘Safety of Journalists’ and ‘Gender and Media’ – can be found here on our Knowledge & Quality site.
Some of the tasks that the intern can take on include:
- Develop the track record (in terms of project experience) of Free Press Unlimited into an interesting and accessible description of experiences and lessons learned.
- Do a literature review for sub-themes and summarise the main findings into short articles.
- Compile resources available for journalists and media organisations related to this theme, both by Free Press Unlimited and other organisations, and incorporate them in the resource guide.
- Compile forms of evidence (academic and from practitioners) related to the theme.
- Think with us about how best to present this resource guide and our knowledge base generally, to make it accessible to anyone who would benefit from it.
What we ask from you:
- Enrolled at an educational institution or just graduated with a background in Political Science, International Relations, Communication, Journalism, or other relevant studies;
- A hands on, pro-active mentality and ability to work independently;
- Fluent in English (both verbal and written)
- Strong communicator with analytical and organisational skills;
- Interest in media and/ or press freedom.
An internship in a dynamic working environment with international colleagues and partner organisations. The office is located in the centre of Amsterdam. Due to the COVID-19 measures, the internship will have to be organised in a way that you come to the office some days of the week and work from home on others. This means that you can come to the office three days a week (with your supervisor present) on the basis of a full-time commitment. Despite this situation we will make sure you still have the opportunity to see and experience how our organisation functions on the inside and to become familiar with the work of an international NGO such as ours. You will further receive an allowance of Euro 300 per month (on full time basis) and, if applicable, travel expenses (public transport) for the days you come to the office.
Who we are:
Across the globe, journalists and media pioneers have taken it on themselves to provide their communities with objective information. Free Press Unlimited actively supports these professionals in over 40 countries, by offering them, among other things, trainings and temporary financial and material aid, and by strengthening their professional capacity. So that as many people as possible gain and keep access to vital information. For many people around the world, access to reliable information is by no means a given. Nevertheless, impartial information is of crucial importance to all of us if we wish to survive and develop as human beings.
Please send your resume and short letter of motivation including learning goals in English (preferable in PDF format) latest August 13 to Tamara Lunacek (HR Officer) via the following application form. Interviews will take place via video conferencing in the week of August 17.