We are looking for an experienced Lobby and Advocacy Expert to play a key role in coaching media partners in developing a lobbying and advocacy strategy.
Free Press Unlimited strongly believes that everyone is entitled to unbiased, reliable and timely information. This enables them to assess their own living conditions, influence these and make the right decisions. Press freedom and freedom of information are vital for gathering and spreading reliable, unbiased information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information that can help them develop and monitor the authorities. We want to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom.
By supporting media professionals and journalists, we want to help people gain and keep access to the information they need to survive and develop.
We are currently looking for an experienced Lobby and Advocacy Expert.
The ideal candidate should have a proven track record as a lobby and advocacy expert within the fields of media freedom, media protection and media normative frameworks; be able to lead the partner in the best suitable implementation of the strategy and to coach on the job in a results-oriented fashion. That includes transferring knowledge and tools for context analysis, network and normative/policy development management, risk analysis, evaluation and learning progress plans.
- Deliver consultation and training sessions in creating a communication and advocacy strategy
- Provide support with the creation of a lobbying agenda
- Provide support in the execution of the lobbying goals
- Identify tools and targets for public outreach
- Build and maintain relationship and trust with media partners and their advocacy teams
- Advise on an advocacy development roadmap for media partners
- Assess learning progress results and transform in recommendations and strategic decision-making lines
- Lead and facilitate collaborative relationships with other diverse groups as required.
- Minimum of five years’ relevant experience in strategic communications, advocacy, journalism or a related field
- Proven training and coaching experience on one or more of these subjects; human rights laws principles, stakeholder and power analysis, advocacy agenda planning, advocacy tools for campaigns and actions and/or campaigning
- Experienced in writing policy and advocacy content
- A relevant network that can support the execution of the goals
- Experience in mentoring and advising individuals and organisations
- Fluency in Arabic and English
- Knowledgeable on the Middle East and Arab media framework
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to monitor, evaluate, and recognise weaknesses and strengths of the teams
- Good communication and inter-cultural skills; the ability to effectively communicate with advocacy teams, other colleagues and supervisors
- Strong self-motivation; driven by goals and demonstrating resilience
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities
- Ability to travel to the Middle East (as required).
A freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment with an NGO’s fair salary based on local standards. Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
A written application consisting of a CV and a short motivation (preferably in PDF format) should be submitted by e-mail before 2 June 2019 to vacanciesejsm[AT]freepressunlimited.org.
A screening is part of the application process.