Radio Dabanga produces independent news to make sure that everyone, wherever they are in Sudan, is aware of vital information. This includes news on political developments, human rights abuses, outbreaks of disease, and gender-based violence.
Radio Dabanga believes that representation of these issues in the media can help foster information exchange, understanding, and eventually peace in Sudan.
The station was created as an independent news source originally reporting on the conflict in Darfur. Ten years after its birth, Dabanga’s unique position and vast in-country network allows the journalists to remotely gather and publish news about every corner of Sudan.
Radio programmes are broadcast via shortwave and satellite TV in Arabic to Sudan to 3.3 million daily listeners. News articles are written in Arabic and English, published daily on Radio Dabanga’s website, Facebook, Twitter, and in over 100 WhatsApp groups. Over the past 10 years, Radio Dabanga has been supported operationally by Free Press Unlimited.
We are looking for a Managing Director (38 hours a week).
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Guide the radio station to organisational independence (financially and operationally);
- Identify fundraising opportunities and maintain good relations with the institutional donors and private funders;
- Develop and implement a fundraising policy and have (final) responsibility for proposal writing;
- Responsible for the planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of the projects;
- Responsible for the development and implementation of human resources within the operational (financial) boundaries;
- Responsible for a timely narrative and financial report towards the donors;
- (Final) responsibility for financial administration according to the Dutch law and guidelines;
- Develop and implement a marketing and public relations policy within the mission of the radio station;
- Expand and maintain the network of stakeholders of the radio station including (but not limited to) donors, media, and civil society in both Sudan and the Netherlands, and also internationally;
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- BSc / BA diploma in management or a relevant field. MSc/MA is a plus;
- Excellent organisation and leadership skills;
- Knowledge of and experience in journalism and media development;
- Relevant experience with development and crisis countries;
- A proven track record in programme management (report writing, budget management), facilitating learning processes, and acquisition;
- High level of cultural awareness/sensitivity;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written in English. Proficiency in Arabic and Dutch is a plus.
What we offer
A position in a dynamic, international environment based in Amsterdam. An appointment for one year, with the possibility of an extension depending on performance and availability of funding, 25 paid holiday days a year (on full-time basis) and 8% holiday allowance.
Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Then we would love to hear from you! Please apply by sending your English CV and short cover letter (both in PDF format) no later than October 15, 2019 to Tamara Lunacek (HR Officer) via the application form.
If we appoint a suitable candidate before the given closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date.
Non-EU candidates need to have a valid work permit to be considered for this role.
An assessment and screening can be part of the selection process.