Free Press Unlimited is currently supporting a range of independent media outlets with their work in the Middle East. For this purpose, we are looking for a Media Monitoring Coder Expert. The suitable applicant has proven experience in working with various methodology (developing methodology experience is an advantage) and in contributing in writing analysis reports based on data gathered.
The main responsibility of the coder expert is to analyse the content of the media organisation that publish/air/post in Kurdish (Kumanji) language and help the head media analyst to produce reports. In these reports, he/she will measure the content on: framing and adherence to professional and ethics of journalism. At the beginning of the project, the coder expert will support in reviewing and adjusting the current methodology based on the input of partner organisations and Free Press Unlimited.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Assess and analyse media content on: quality and breadth of content, framing, balance, conflict sensitive reporting, gender-mainstreaming, gender-based violence, journalistic rights violations, international law violations;
- Produce reports;
- Validate reports with media organisations;
- Help review the current methodology based on input from partner organisations as well as Free Press Unlimited and continuously integrate feedback from organisations to improve the quality of the reports;
- Keep guidelines and codebook update that the organisations can use to measure their own performance and progress;
- Be responsible for working smoothly with the monitoring team, its work-flow and its quality checks-system according to a clear vision, strategy and working plan;
- Regularly exchange with and report to Free Press Unlimited coordinator
- Keep good communication with partner organisations to enable feedback, and to help the organisations use the reports as a learning tool to assess and improve quality and ethics of publications.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Relevant academic background (Media studies);
- At least five years of relevant experience in media content analysis;
- Solid understanding of academic media analysis (theory, methodology, cases);
- Experience in research production projects;
- Demonstrable experience in authoring, editing, publishing or consistently contributing to media analysis reports;
- Knowledge and familiarity with journalism trends and media landscape in Middle East;
- Able to switch roles (point of view) from consultant to coach, to trainer to chief editor;
- Proven strong communication and team working skills;
- Professional competence of written and verbal communication skills in Kurdish (Kumanji) and Arabic. English is a plus.
- Knowledge of political and security developments in the Middle East;
- Flexible, committed, reliable and independent worker;
- Willing to travel to the Middle East if needed.
What we offer
A consultancy assignment starting from July/August 2019 for 1 month, in a dynamic international environment. Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
If you are interested please send your short motivation letter and CV (preferable in PDF-format) no later than 12 July, to Livia O’Neill at email@example.com. A screening is part of the selection process.