We are looking for a Strategic Media Expert.
Free Press Unlimited strongly believes that everyone is entitled to unbiased, reliable and timely information. This enables them to assess their own living conditions, influence these and make the right decisions. Press freedom and freedom of information are vital for gathering and spreading reliable, unbiased information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information that can help them develop and monitor the authorities. We want to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom.
By supporting media professionals and journalists, we want to help people gain and keep access to the information they need to survive and develop.
Free Press Unlimited is currently supporting a number of emerging Syrian media organisations committed to independent and professional journalism. Free Press Unlimited has a development programme for these media outlets, with the aim, amongst others, to increase their sustainability.
We are currently looking for a Strategic Media Expert. The Strategic Media Expert will help the partner organisations with their strategic plan (to be reviewed or produced) and to develop compelling products and services in line with that strategy. The strategic plan will be the roadmap leveraging various resources, tools and content to meet the online business and/or digital publishing goals. One of the goals is to engage with the target audiences.
The postholder will be an expert in Middle East media market trends, and will scan the existing content of the media outlet, scan stakeholders’ content and help develop and validate ideas that increase the success of the outlet. In order to fulfil these obligations, the ideal candidate needs to have a media business background and be able to demonstrate a successful track record in these areas.
- Scan the performance of news outlets
- Analyse the news outlet and stakeholders’ media market position
- Advise and contribute to most suitable and feasible strategic development plans
- Help produce a strategic business plan
- Help identify the current businesses’ weak and strong points and make stakeholder analyses
- Produce an assessment report based on a succinct and clear evaluation methodology
- Be resourceful and contribute to current best practices with online/emerging technology.
- Relevant study (such as business and administration, media management, marketing) at university level
- Track record in business assessment
- Minimum of five years’ experience conducting business development, strategy development and/or marketing strategy in the media industry (radio, TV, print, online, social media)
- Experience (and/or knowledge of markets) working in the Middle East
- Experience working with a Middle Eastern media outlet is a plus
- Experience working in audience behaviour (identify and engage)
- Experience working with risk analyses
- Experience tracking business success records
- Experience working with digital media and social media marketing is an advantage
- Commercial awareness (on and off line) is required
- Fluency in Arabic and English
- Excellent work ethics and punctuality with deliverables
- Business intelligence
- Ability to take a high-level vision and translate it into executable actions
- Reliable team player (with the ability to work independently as well as in a team)
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem-solving skills and creative multitasker
- Proactive and result oriented
- Ability to travel to the Middle East region.
A freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment, with a competitive salary based on local standards. Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
A written application consisting of a CV and a short motivation (preferably in PDF format) should be submitted by e-mail before 2 June, 2019 to vacanciesejsm[AT]freepressunlimited.org.
A screening is part of the application process.