The category Newcomer of the Year in Journalism recognises talented new journalists who have put in a strong performance when it comes to reporting the news. The nominees all demonstrate exceptional commitment to press freedom and independent coverage and use innovative methods to disseminate this information.
They show extraordinary dedication to journalism as a means to hold those in power accountable and to serve as a watchdog in the public interest. They manage to share stories that would otherwise be left untold.
You are free to nominate anyone in the broader field of journalism – from professional reporters, editors, photojournalists, technologists and media professionals to citizen journalists, cartoonists or bloggers. People working in print, broadcast or online media; in any country around the world.
Before submitting your nomination, please make sure you have gathered the following required documentation:
- A written description of the context within which the nominee is active.
- A 'nomination statement' explaining why you believe the nominee should be considered for this category. This statement is one of the key documents reviewed within the award selection process. Please explain in detail how your candidate satisfies the eligibility requirments, using concrete and specific that effectively illustrate the nominee's commitment to press freedom.
Examples of the nominee's work:
- For print journalists (including online media): 1 or 2 articles written bij the nominee;
- For editors or publishers: 1 or 2 representative examples of the nominee's output;
- For television or radio reporters or producersC: an audio or vidio clip that features the candidate or that has been produced by the candidate (audio recordings van be digitally uploaded or burned to CD and submitted by regular post; video clips can be digitally uploaded or submitted with WeTransfer;
- For photojournalist: 2 or 3 representative photographs taken by the nominee.
- The preferred language of submission for your nomination is either English or French.
- All nominations need to be received before 1 July 2018 (00:00 CEST).
In recognition of his or her achievements, the winner of the Newcomer of the Year - Hans Verploeg Award will receive a media scholarship as well as an expenses-paid visit to The Hague, where he or she will be officially presented with the award at Free Press Live on 2 November 2018, the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists.
Click here to read more about the criteria for the category Most Resilient Journalist.