Journalists and media organisations in distress can apply for emergency support from Reporters Respond. Through this fund, Free Press Unlimited enables them to resume their work as quickly as possible when faced with obstruction, vandalism, or intimidations.
Reporters Respond aims to support journalists and media organisations in distress, usually within a very short time-frame. We provide media professionals with one-time financial support to cover costs, for example for replacing their damaged equipment. The support we provide is irrespective of the medium and the area covered by the journalist or organisation.
Applying for emergency support
Media professionals and organisations in distress can apply for support from Reporters Respond. This is what we can offer:
- One-time grants in the event of an emergency;
- Knowledge and resources that help the recipient to circumvent censorship and to communicate safely and securely.
Requirements that you need to meet:
- You are a media organisation or a practicing media professional;
- Your emergency situation is a direct result of your work as a media professional;
- You recognise that this assistance is not structural but provided on an incidental (one-time) basis;
- You recognise that the aim of our support is to resume your work as soon as possible;
- Your situation can be confirmed by at least two trusted sources outside of yourself.
For additional questions you can email us at email@example.com or contact our Free Press Unlimited office on: +31 20 8000 400. We will respond to your request as soon as possible.
Safety for journalists
Around the world, journalists face an increasing level of repression, violence and intimidation by governments, interest groups, militia and other parties. As a result, journalists and media professionals are often unable to continue their work. Free Press Unlimited believes that journalists should be able to function as independent actors and function as change catalysts within society, especially under difficult circumstances like armed conflict and oppression.
Together with our international partners we verify and discuss cases, coordinate joint efforts and aim to find sustainable solutions where possible. Free Press Unlimited currently coordinates its activities with the following partners:
Article 19 | CJFE | Committe to Protect Journalists | Freedom House | Frontline Defender | Human Rights Watch | IFI | International Media Support | IWMF | IREX | Journalisten Helfen | Kality Fonden | Media Defence | Pen International | Pen America | Rory Peck Trust | Reporters Without Borders